Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Picturing The Meaning of Life

In unit of 1 of my Humanities class Journalism, we learned about the what being a journalist means; we also looked at photo journalism, and how you can tell a story with one photo. For an FE, we went to Wienberg Newton Gallery, and we looked at an exhibit with photos of the spots where someone was shot in Chicago. This was really in impactful to see how one image can old so much meaning behind it. As for our action project, we had to interview someone about the meaning of life, and take a photo of them. This photo could just be them in their natural environment, but I decided to do something different. What I found challenging for this project was thinking of the right picture to take, and showing that the picture has meaning behind it. I am proud of the image that I ended up using because I put a symbolism into it. Below you can learn about the interview I took and see the picture I used. Please enjoy!

                                                                                    

There are so many things happening in our world right now, every few seconds someone dies, someone is born. The planet is changing, we are evolving. But--What is the meaning of it all? Why do we do the things we do, why does the earth move it does? What is the meaning of life? Just ask yourself that.

I asked myself that, and then I went out to interview someone to ask them the same thing. The man I am interviewing is AA, my father. He is 57 right now, he is married, he is works for the City of Chicago as an architect. He has sister and brother, both living life happily. He is very involved in the Greek community, going to church, parades, and any special events. He is always giving a happy vibe to everyone around him. I thought he would be perfect to interview, because he has experienced so much, and still has such a happy face.

I asked him, “What is the meaning of life?” he responded with, “It is to able to leave good thoughts behind so people can continue to do good deeds and be smiling as they do so. I say this because now of days everything, TV, newspapers, and social media are about disasters, murders, it is all bad news with no good thoughts.” I really liked that response because I believe the same thing, there is too much bad in our world.

I followed with a question that, I think, is very important, “How do you represent your meaning of life?” He replied with (speaking in Greek), “Do good and good comes back to you.” Let me explain first why I think that was important question. These days, a lot people will say something or judge someone and not follow what they said. I knew he was going to say that because I always hear him saying that to me. He even says it to others. They will ask why he does certain things, and he is never hesitant to say, “Do good and good will come back to you.” Next I asked if he was taught to believe this because he taught it to me. He answered with, “You aren’t really taught you are mentored that way from everyone, and everything around you.” I connected a lot with this answer, because it is true, the people, the area, that you live around really makes you the person you are; it does this either in a good way or bad way.

Speaking of that, my next question was, “What’s your advice to people that have bad all around them?” He responded with, “Time will tell and everything will work out.” I expected something different, but I was happy with what he said. I say this because a lot of people think where the place they are is where they will be forever. This isn’t true, if you work hard and always keep a positive attitude it can change for you, change for the better. Lastly, I asked him, “Has your definition changed overtime?” He was quick to respond, saying, “My definition has gotten stronger in a positive way. It has changed for the better.” This is an answer that I was surprised to hear, mainly because so much can changed in 57 years; you might define something differently than you did 20 years ago.

NVA. "DO GOOD." 2016. Chicago
Above is the image I have chosen to use for this article. I used this one because I liked the symbolism behind it. The first piece of symbolism is the how the dark the image is, and the background. I did that because he was saying there is so much bad news, bad news you see in: social media, newspapers, and TV. Now, you might be wondering what the sign he is holding is saying. Well, that is Greek, and it translates to “do good” which was his message during the entire interview. I also had the light focusing on that sign, so it shows how much he tries to represent that. In addition, he is only showing half of his face, because it adds to the realness of the situation, how he always tries to do good, that it is normal to him. He just does it, without any expression, he just wants to spread good, positive views.

When it comes to the aperture, shutter speed, and focus, I didn’t really do anything special with those aspects in the use of the camera. I really just played around with the lighting around me to get that darkness, and light look. For me, this pictures makes me use my 5 senses and think of something smooth a crisp, I say this because the image is very simple (smooth), but the meaning is very powerful (crisp).

In the end, I really took away a lot from away this interview, I knew some of this information already. It was still nice to hear him explain it more and go deeper in his meaning of what life, and how he always wants to do good. Now go back to what I asked in the begining on what your meaning of life is. Has it changed? Or has it got stronger?


References:
Personal Interview. AA. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment