Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Military Dictatorship in Brazil 1964 - 85

For unit 2 of my Forbidden Books class we learned more about religions; where it started and how and the prophets were involved with Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, and their role in censorship. Then we learned more about how governments started to censor more things to gain political power. For the action project we were given a list of censorship cases that happen at different countries and times, but also we had to just research what was going on in the country at the time and how that lead to the censorship. I picked the Military Dictatorship in Brazil during 1964 - 1985, I thought this would be more interesting to learn how a military would censor different things to gain power and see what different things they would censor. Also this was a huge event that happened in Brazil, and is seen as one of the worst times for the Brazilian citizens, which was surprising to me since I never heard of it before. The purpose of this was to see how governments would censor items and why they chose to do that. I really liked this action project because it really pushed me to work harder, mainly because a lot of my sources that started out with had the same story, but different dates. To me censorship is really only justified if it is very small or specific, but I don't think big picture ones are justified. For example, dictatorship and them using censorship to gain power, but when it used to help keep a child from seeing things they aren't ready for, I think that would be justifiable.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment