Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

You Must Switch to Wind Turbines!

In my class fuel, students had to pick a partner and those two would pick one of two renewable resources, Wind energy or Solar energy. My partner and I chose to do Wind turbines, because we both didn't know much on how they worked and the money behind one. The purpose of this project was to see if we could make a video that explained how wind turbines work, the money behind one, and to see if we could make a compelling argument. The challenge of this project was creating the video.
  
 
  
 
NVA: Hi my name is Nick, I live in Denver and I use solar panels, but the area I live in is very shady and doesn't get a lot of sun.  Is there another renewable resource that I can use to lower my electricity bill?

 
GS:  One resource that you could try is wind energy, because it is renewable, and there is an endless supply of it.  It is also environmentally friendly, like solar panels, neither of which, create pollution!

 
NVA:  That's great, but how do they work exactly?

 
GS:  Wind turbines transfer motion energy in the wind to electricity.  The way this is accomplished is as follows: The wind spins the propellers.  The generator uses magnets to create electricity, which goes to a substation.  The substation transfers the energy to the grid, which goes to your house.

 
GS: However, there are some negative impacts on wildlife.  Birds and other animals could be hit by the spinning propellers.  Also, some people are bothered by the noise that wind turbines produce.  However, not everyone feels that way.

 
NVA: Thank-you for alerting me to the cons of wind energy.  The biggest obstacle that I am worried about is overcoming the financial aspect.  My electrical bill is about $50 a month.  Would I be paying more for the turbines?

 
GS:  Your energy bill says you use around 386 kWh in any given month, which means you are paying $17.70 per kWh for electricity in a single month.  If you were to purchase a wind turbine, you could certainly reduce this monthly cost. However, initially, you will be spending more than you will in the long run.

 
NVA: Really?  How much would it cost initially?  And when would I break even?

 
GS: To buy the wind turbine, it costs about $10,000.  However, in 7 years, you will break even, and make your money back.

 
NVA: How much would I save in the long run?

 
GS: Over the course of 14 to 15 years, you could save anywhere between $654- $1,248.  I hope I have helped you answer your questions about wind turbines.

 
NVA: You definitely have!  I think wind energy is a great alternative to non-renewable resources like coal and petroleum.
 
 
REFERNECES
"How Does a Wind Turbine Work?" n.p. U.S. Department of Energy. Jan 23, 2013. Retrieved from web 1-31-14
 
"Wind Energy Pros and Cons" n.p. Energy Information, n.d.  Retrieved from web 1-29-14
 
"Solar or Wind Calculator" n.p. Solar-Estimate. n.d. Retrieved from web 1-31-14
 
Wikimedia, "Wind Turbine Holderness" Nov 26, 2013. Countryside. Retrieved 2-3-14
 
U.S. Department of Energy. Energy 101-Wind turbines, 2014. Retrieved 2-4-14

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment