Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Independent Artist

For my independent study, I worked on beefing up my art portfolio for various colleges. I spent a lot of time working on essays and making different films that I could add to my art portfolio. I plan to go for a film major and I decided I needed to have more film work in my art portfolio. This independent study allowed to me see if film was something that I could get into and it also allowed me to explore different styles of film like animation and noir. The biggest project that I completed was a Noir film which you can watch below.
                                                                                                                

I submitted applications to the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC), Pratt Institute, Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), and Savannah School of Art and Design (SCAD). Each college requires two essays, one talking about personal aspirations and another talking about why I as an artist is a good candidate for their school. In addition to the essays, each of the colleges asked for something different to be included in my portfolio. For instance, Pratt asked for a film treatment and RISD asked for a separate art project following their guidelines. So, I needed more time to work and explore my art and be able to follow my own schedule. This is why I decided to have an independent study. I worked on a lot in the month I had to myself. I was able to work on my essays and really focus on what I needed before a certain deadline for SAIC.

Then I got to work on various films. I worked on different animations, as well as creating a movie about someone doing something so bad they needed to lose their identity. In that short film, Lost & Gone, I want the audience to interpret what it is that he did that he would need to lose his identity. I created new film where for a week I planned out the script and was always writing down ideas for how it look very good, this way I got to see more of the planning behind films. I knew I wanted to create a Noir film, so I started by looking up the elements a Noir film, other than the fact that they are usually in black and white. I got a few people I knew to be the actors. Following a storyboard and a script, I recorded the actors. Then I took the footage to post-production, where I edited a short film to tell the story I set out to tell. I am very proud on how it came out and I wish I had more time for this independent study. But I will still be creating films. In fact, I already have another idea ready. I want to keep growing as a filmmaker and artist and that’s what I plan to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment