Pages

Monday, January 12, 2015

Matters & Manners


For the third unit of my Five Faces class, we looked at taking all the faces (Seer, Observer, Alchemist, Fool, and Sage) and using them to make a service project. For my idea, I thought it would be nice to make a comic strip that jokes about world matters so that it can raise awareness of those topics; also on the back I would put a website that someone could go to in order to learn more about the subject and possibly donate to those organizations, which were the Natural Resources Defense Council and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (organizations that help with world matters). I had a lot of different views on this service project, because when I started it was very frustrating as it was hard to figure out where I should put my comics without breaking the law. I found that putting them up in just random spots, like Starbucks poster boards and in Red Eye and Chicago Readers, was not really getting people’s attention. So on the second day I decided to just go to Starbucks and wait for people to come in and sit down so I could go up and talk to them. Some being really confused and some being super energetic. I liked the Starbucks I went to, because it had a lot of college students there who really understood what I was getting at. On the other hand, regular adults were either really confused or very interested about it. This surprised and pleased me because it reassured me that were going to look at the websites.  

NVA "Service Drawing" 2015. GCE
Now with this project I had to incorporate all the five faces. The picture above shows my Seer face, as I visualized the before, during , and after. For the Observer I went to popular places where people sit down or wait for something, like a grocery store and Starbucks, and once there I would hand out my cartoons or put them on poster boards. I made three comics in total and I basically made 75 copies of each. The public will benefit from my comic strips because with them they might start thinking about the world matters and how bad or serious they really are. Also on the back I would give a summary on the subject and a website they can use to help with the topic. I will use the Fool and humor to catch people’s attention, then I will interact with people to see their views on the matter. My main inspiration was Family Guy and how they have some knuckle-biting humor with certain world issues, and with that they get me thinking and wondering about that matter. I started thinking what if this same effect will happen with other people and not just me? A lot of people would protest and be forceful, where as I used my humor to grab the people's attention. I also used the Sage, by making it simple and fast to read, very straight to the point. If it gave a title to this project I would be Matters and Manner. I say that because it talks about big matters and acting upon it would show that someone has manners in some way.



No comments:

Post a Comment