Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Home Making Aardvark

For Unit 2 of my Stories class, we mainly went over the different types of character and how they can affect a story, we also learned about fables and how they all use personification and have a moral. Another thing we learned about was symbols and how anything can be a symbol. For this action project we had to make a fable of our own with a moral that relates to our life with a  symbol. The moral I have chosen for my fable was that no good deed goes unpunished and symbol in the story is hole because it shows how two opposites can come together. The purpose of this was to see how a fable can teach any lesson, and feeling about something. What I really liked about this project was that I got to play around with the characters and do a lot of dialog.


NVA "Jonas and Tom" 2014. Chicago
“No! What are you doing? I thought we were friends. HELP. HELP. HEL…”
In the dry African Savanna, there lives an aardvark named Jonas. Jonas is a very kind aardvark who loved to build homes for any animal who asked, only if they saw him as a friend and not food. Jonas has a very welcoming voice that makes it seem like he’s always happy and long nails that help him dig. He will always makes exceptions when building for an animal that sees him as food, but only if there is good reason. This meant that every day he would have new animals asking him to build them a home: ducks, warthogs, snakes, and even a porcupine.
One day Jonas had a new customer who looked dangerous. He walked towards Jonas  laughing mischievously with a creepy smile on his face. Once Jonas saw him clearly, he shouted, “RUN EVERYONE, RUN!” He quickly tapped at the top of each hole to warn everyone. The hyena quickly ran after him and caught up to him and pounced on Jonas. Jonas asked nervously, “Please make it quick?!”.

The hyena responded quickly saying, “No no! I am here to ask for a home. I am very desperate and I have three small children.”

Jonas responded frightened saying, “You are a Liar, I never give a home to someone who has killed my own kind!”

The hyena said, “No, I am telling the truth!”

Jonas said, “Then why did you come here with that weird laugh?”

The hyena responded, “Because I am a laughing hyena. Just listen my name is Tom and all I want is a home. Can you please help me?”

Jonas said sadly, “yes.”
After the talk they had Jonas and Tom talked a little more, and soon became friends. Jonas asked, “Why did you come here for a home?”

Tom said, “because my pack was killed by hunters, and its just me and and my three sons.”

Jonas was shocked and knew that these hunters were the weird people with no fur and a tall bodies. Jonas asked, “Where are your three children?”

Tom responded saying, “Behind that tree. Kids come here!” The three kids came out, “This is Dylan, Ryan, and Victor.”  
“So when do you think my house will be ready?” asked Tom.

Jonas answered, “In a couple of days. I have to find a spot to dig the hole and make sure it would be large enough for your family.”

“Do you know anywhere else I can stay for the time being?” asked Tom.

“You can stay with one other person I know, Oliver the porcupine. He is nice but mess with him and it can get nasty.” Jonas said with a smile on his face.

The day came when Tom and his kids were ready to have their own home. “I found the perfect spot that is against a wall of dirt so it would make it easier for you to enter,” Jonas said happily.

When they walked over to it Tom said, “It is perfect! Children what do you think?”

“Looks amazing!” The kids replied. Jonas decided he would show them their new home, and in it was a nice space to rest and eat. “What is this?” Tom asked.

“Oh that is another way to get in here, just so you don't have to walk around this whole thing.” Jonas replied. When Jonas was showing himself out.

Tom said quickly, “Oh wait there was one more thing I need help with.” So Jonas walked back and responded, “what is up?” Tom replied in an eerie voice, “Just lunch!”

No comments:

Post a Comment