Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Carving "This Is The Year"


For Unit 3 of P’Art of History, we covered many parts of history where people revolted for a cause, such as the 8 hour work day, Segregation, and The Vietnam War. For our 3rd Action Project, we made a carving out of soft cut linoleum.Then used it to make a plaster mold of a propaganda poster, explaining what we would revolt for. We also wrote a poem about it that was inspired by Martin Espada’s “Imagine the Angels of Bread”. Below is my amazing poem and my inspiring poster!




NVA, "Stop Testing" 7-24-14, Chicago:GCE


NVA
Carving “This Is The Year”
Soft cut Linoleum, Carving tools, plaster, clay, box knife
6” by 6”
7- 24-14


What Would You Revolt For?
I would strongly revolt for Animal Testing, because….


This is the year;
Apes put Humans in cages
To teach them love and care
Observe as they change heart
As everyone slowly evolves into Greaters


This is the year;
That rabbits concocted from leaves and berries,
both rabbit and human faces are
colorful
without the pains of chemicals

This is the year;
That mice test cures on humans to
treat sickness
instead of stabbing each other with injections
mice cure humans by showing them life’s
truest meaning

If the Haymarket Riots began with the vision
of equality…..
then this is the year;
If the Chicago 8 revolted in court to
fight for what they think is right
then this the year;
If the courts that tried the Chicago 8,
could eventually drop the charges that
violated their freedom of speech.
then this is the year.


So may every rabbit, mouse, and ape
that are trapped in cages
have the right to live and lead us into the new Revolution.


A propaganda poster is a special poster that consists of a power symbol, is bold and has a very strong message. They are usually created to protest a cause or to influence people into taking action. In my art piece the bunny is the power symbol, because many people like bunnies and think they are cute, this helps to create more emotion. The words “Stop Testing” is to tell people what the poster is trying to get at, this is usually done in most propaganda to make the message clear and to the point.

I created my art piece by drawing my protest poster and then coloring in the parts that I wanted to carve with my pencil. Next I would “stamp” my drawing on the soft cut linoleum, then I would softly outline the drawing. Next I would carve my drawing into the linoleum until I thought it was deep enough. Then I would get clay and build 4” tall walls that would border the linoleum. Next I had to spray it with oil so that the walls and the plaster wouldn’t stick to the linoleum and ruin it. Next I poured the plaster into the box. Lastly I cut the walls off and pull off my linoleum and I have my art piece.


NVA, "POH Art" 2014, Chicago:GCE

No comments:

Post a Comment