Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Olive's Path

In unit 2 of my Food For Thought class we studied, the geography of different continents, the process foods have to go through, and the impacts of the process. For the action project we had to pick a vegetable or fruit and then research the process/steps in which it takes to get to our plates. We also had to research the impacts of the different steps, human and environmental. The food I chose was, olives. I picked this, because olives are used in many dishes and no one really talks about them, such as, how and where they are grown. Many say Greece but Spain is the actually, "Mother Land". Something that was really surprising that I read while my doing my research was that, olive oil actually when consumed many times can help reduce the chances of getting cancer. One environmental impact that I found surprising was that, the waste water that was produced when the olives are being processed is that, it can't be safely transported to a waste water treatment facility. This affected how I view lots of different foods, because know I that it could take a long time and a lot of hardship to be made. This project will make me think more about people and the environment when growing different types of vegetables and fruits.




No comments:

Post a Comment